The sexual assault lawsuit filed in New York against Prince Andrew by his longtime accuser, Virginia Giuffre, has been officially dropped after a financial settlement, according to court documents released on Tuesday (March 8).
In February, the parties reached an out-of-court settlement for an undisclosed sum, sparing Queen Elizabeth II's second son the public humiliation of a trial. Read also Article reserved for our subscribers Epstein case: Prince Andrew avoids trial and saves Elizabeth II's platinum jubilee
The two parties filed a “stipulation of dismissal” of the case in federal court in New York, signed by Judge Lewis Kaplan on Tuesday.
Last month's agreement said the parties would file a motion to dismiss “ upon Ms. Giuffre's receipt of the settlement”, suggesting that it has been paid.
Retired from royal public life
Ms Giuffre, 38, said she had sex with Prince Andrew when she was 17, and therefore a minor under US law, after meeting him through US financier Jeffrey Epstein, who s died by suicide in 2019 in his cell in New York while awaiting his own trial for sex crimes.The prince, now 61, has not been criminally charged and has denied the charges.
The Daily Telegraph reported he was to pay £10million ($13.1million) to Ms. Giuffre and £2million to a charity for victims of sex trafficking.
In January, the prince was stripped of his honorary military titles as well as remaining charitable roles. He stepped down from royal public life in 2019 after a BBC interview in which he sought to clear himself of the accusation of Ms. Giuffr